Yield: 8-10 koftas
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
For the Koftas
- 1 cup Soy beans
- 1 large potato
- 1 small onion, (shallots/red onions work great.)
- 1-2 green chillies, finely sliced (or as per taste)
- few cilantro sprigs for garnish
- juice and zest of one lemon
- salt to taste
- About 1/2-1 cup of Soya chunks (Indian stores) or TVP (in US stores)
For Simple Gravy
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- about 1/4-1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
- Soak the soy beans overnight. Cook them in a pressure cooker. No problems if it gets mushy. We are going to do that anyways.
- Steam the potato in the steamer (with the skin. It has nutrition too)
- Now mix all the ingredients for the koftas together except the soya chunks/TVP. Mash them with your hands or pulse it up in your food processor – whatever works for you.
- If you are not able to make it into a ball and the dough seems moist, add some soy flour to thicken it up.
- Spread the soy chunks on a plate and coat the balls with them.
- Repeat with all the balls and place them in a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes in an 400F oven.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, in a 1/4 tsp oil (or skip the oil. Just place the onions and cumin on the hot skillet with some salt. The salt will bring out the moisture and help the onions cook easily. That way you cut the oil and make this dish oil free), saute the cumin seeds along with onions, ginger garlic paste and the spices together for a minute until soft.
- Add the tomato paste (if using) and the puree.
- Add enough water to make sufficient gravy and once it comes to a boil, thicken it up with little soy flour/cornstarch and bring it to a simmer.
- Remove the koftas from the Oven and pour half the sauce over each of the koftas until they are soaked in the gravy.
- Bake them for another 10 minutes and before serving pour out the remaining gravy.
- Serve warm with phulkas.
Recipe Source: Chef in You