Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 pound sweet apples, such as Fuji, rinsed, peeled, cored, and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- Melt butter in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat; stir in brown sugar until dissolved and bubbly. Stir in apples and cook until they are barely tender when pierced, about 5 minutes. Divide the apple-and-sugar mixture equally among 12 buttered muffin cups (1/2-cup capacity).
- In a bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix buttermilk, egg, and oil to blend. Stir into cornmeal mixture just until evenly moistened. Spoon batter equally into muffin cups.
- Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven until tops are lightly browned and feel firm when pressed, 15 to 20 minutes. Immediately run a knife between each muffin and cup rim and invert over a baking sheet to remove muffins (if any apple slices remain inside muffin cups, replace on muffins). Serve warm or at room temperature, apple side up.
Recipe Source: Elsa Kleinman via MyRecipies